Thursday, June 9, 2011

I live for days like these.

On Monday I did a menu plan for a few weeks and went to the grocery store, paid bills and did returns. On Tuesday I did laundry and cleaned floors and picked up. Wed I did trash, cleaned the garage and scrubbed the kitchen. Thursday I had RS pres meeting at my house and in the evening I weeded and gardened until it was too dark to keep working. Tonight the house is clean and I can finally relax.
I took a giant armful of bursting peonies to my friend I visit teach. She let me stay and chat for almost an hour. As I came home I felt wonderfully calm and happy. It is 11:30 and 65 degrees. My yard looks beautiful in the moonlight. My cute new nude flats clicked up the driveway and I smiled to see the pots of flowers on my doorstep in bloom. I gave my wonderful old stained glass door a good shove to open it since it sticks and makes a familiar snug sound as it closes out the world for the night. The fragrance from the spilling peonies in the pool of light on the granite in front of me is lovely. The boys are asleep. I still have a little dirt under my fingernails keeping this gorgeous day fresh for just a bit longer as it winds down into a warm summer evening under the slight breeze from the ceiling fan. I live for days and nights like today. Every living thing around me is such a blessing. To live with lush growing things all around our house that I can tend and watch seems like such a miraculous thing. I am full of gratitude. I am in awe of the earth, the seeds, the tenaciousness of life. I am astounded by the breadth and diversity of all things. Even the tiny mosquitoes biting me tonight are delicate and lovely in their own way. My boys, my tender sweet, incredible boys delight me and amaze me every day. There is no end to their vigor and enthusiasm and ideas. I think I am teaching them, and then I realize that they are teaching me. I am humbled and sometimes ashamed of how I think I know the best way for them when they are brilliant little individuals brimming with more potential than I can even imagine. I am grateful and hopeful and happy.

1 comment: