The wind blew hard last night and this morning while the kids and I played in the grass I noticed a tiny baby bird. I bent down thinking it was not alive and saw his tiny racing heartbeat. I waved my finger over his head and his tiny beak opened up very wide looking desperately for food. I looked around for a nest and sadly discovered it tipped over where a branch had broken. The baby birds little sister lay mostly dead in the street where she had landed. I was reminded of a sweet story I recently read to the children from the Friend about President David O. Makay who drove many miles out of his way to open the window to his barn so that a mother and fatehr robin could bring food to the babies in the nest inside the barn. He said, "To Heavenly Father, all creatures are precious." The kids and I planned an animal rescue mission. We borrowed a ladder from our neighbor. He righted the nest and then lifted the baby up into his home. He hopped in, and then immediatly hopped out, falling to the street once again. He seemed to be able to walk so we helped him in again as the mother and father flew around their tree squaking. I hope they thought we were trying to help. Once again the baby fell from the nest; this time into my hands. I handed him back up to Ron who put him in his nest where he appeared to stay. Then the boys and I got to work burrying the sibling that did not survive the fall. Eirik appeared running from inside with a small stone and tape and a small piece of paper. He wanted to write on the paper and tape it up for a headstone. He told me what to write. "Here lies Timmy, a baby robin who died when he fell from his nest onto the hard road. We are sorry you fell. May you life happily in heaven."
Then we all said a prayer. I prayed for the parents of the bird and for the baby in the nest. Eirik prayed for the bird to be happy in heaven and Joren prayed that the bird would not die soon. It was a tender morning. I know God loves all his creatures.
Then we all said a prayer. I prayed for the parents of the bird and for the baby in the nest. Eirik prayed for the bird to be happy in heaven and Joren prayed that the bird would not die soon. It was a tender morning. I know God loves all his creatures.

I remember times like this as a child. We will pray for the bird too.
ReplyDelete