Then we all settled into a camp chair to read our library books for an hour or so. When we got cold we went to read in the car for another hour. Eirik was not in a good mood so I arranged for him to go spend some time with his friend Benjamin. When we got to his house to pick Ben up, the other two boys were asleep so Erin let Eirik stay and play and the three of us slept in the car for 2 hours. That was a sneaky mom trick and I'm glad I played it. It was wonderful.After dinner Paul went to bed with grumpy Eirik and Teig, Joen and I had a wonderful playtime in the basement. The whole week went by without me spending any time playing in the basement with them.. again. They love it so much. We have great toys, but I spend so much time taking care of this house that I don't stop and play enough. Eirik actually asked me, "mom, why do you care about the house so much? Why don't you just take time to play with us?" I know, something has to give. I just can't live in a disaster and it only takes one day of playing for the house to completely fall apart. If I miss one day of sweeping, I can't put Teig on the floor. I am totally exhausted and have to figure out a better plan. I can't keep it up. I do make the boys work, but they really fight me. Eirik said, "I feel like your slave." because I asked him to pick up some books today. What a crybaby. He was so tired today. I used to think that if someone's house was a mess that they must never clean up. I remember thinking how slovenly people lived because there were piles of things everywhere. Now I know how fast those piles can accumulate. I will never judge again. I cannot believe how hard it is to keep things in their places. Is that enough venting?? I hope I am done. I gave myself a pep talk yesterday. I reminded myself to love all my work, to rejoice in all the endless tasks because it means that I get to live in this wonderful, beautiful, big house with so many amenities. Sure we could eat oatmeal for every meal and it would make kitchen chores that much easier. Sure we could have a suburban yard with a lawn service. Sure we could get rid of all the toys and only have enough clothes for one week. Sure we could only keep one pair of shoes out per kid. But, there's so much life in all those glorious choices. So, for that I rejoice. There is work to do because there is abundant life. I choose choices and abundance. I choose my work and my life. I just have to get smarter about how I get it done. Maid service??
Oh, I just had a day like that too. I love simplicity but when I start to get crazy about cleaning and purging I imagine our lives in a sparse, sanitary shell and am so grateful for our abundance.
ReplyDelete