Saturday, May 21, 2011

The perfect little red bead clutch

This morning we got to put rich dark mulch all over the flower beds. Gayle, our landlord, had it delivered and came by to help spread it. It was wonderful work. At 1:30 I stopped to make fish tacos with cabbage, red onion and cilantro salsa with adobo sauce. Easy and so yummy. Kasey taught me to make them last week. We ate on the back porch. I asked the boys how they knew there was a God. Eirik said, "It says so in the Book of Mormon and the Holy Spirit will tell you in your heart and your mind."Paul said that when he asked if it was true, he got an answer in his heart that it was. I said that whenever I talk about my ancestors or geneology work I feel the spirit. I said, "I know they are there in the next life." As I said it, I felt the spirit. I said "if there is a next life, then there has to be a God orchestrating His plan. Also, the more I study animals and living things, the more astonished I am. Every living thing testifies of a Creator." Joren said something wonderful about the Bible telling him there is Jesus. Then Paul asked, "do you think public school is going to ruin our kids?" Of course Eirik wanted to know all the details about what his question meant. I explained that when you go to public school you go with kids that come from all kinds of families and many of those kids might not know what we know and they might try to teach you things that aren't true or tempt you to do things that aren't right. He said, "don't worry mom, I'm always going to choose the Lord's side. Always."
After lunch I took the boys to a few garage sales on the island and let them spend their piggy bank money on spy gear. We stopped by the park to teeter totter and play imagination games and check out the herb festival. When we came home we read library books on the back porch for an hour or so. Then Paul and I got dressed up for the Luau Oakwood hospital doctors party at the country club. I could not figure out what to wear until I finally got my inspiration from Angelica Huston in Life Aquatic. I wore cream linen pants, a white blousy shirt belted with a big black belt and red chunky beads with super sexy black strappy heals that I tripped in all night long. I loved my outfit. I even had the perfect little red bead clutch to take. After all that stress about what to wear I had all the things in my closet except the shoes that I borrowed from Selina. We arrived at 6:30 for cocktails. Paul and I ate cheese squares and fruit and Diet Cokes while we stood around and felt extremely out of place and silly. We did not know anyone except Dr. Glines, the guy in charge. Finally I found a fellow mother that we could swap family stories with. I don't know how to talk to doctors yet and my conversation skills are a bit dried up since I only talk to kids and other moms from church or preschool. As soon as we were called in for dinner, Paul insisted on leaving. We drove for 5 minutes and I convinced him to turn around and go back. We arrived just in time to be served dinner and sit at the table with the youngest looking couple. We ended up having a good time even though Paul would still have preferred to have left. Once again, Paul put someone besides himself first. He is ever the gentleman and I am the lucky benefactor. The doctor we sat by gave us some good advise about starting our practice. It was a helpful conversation.
I have loved my free time tonight reading about celebrity hair extensions and gardening tips.
I love my lovely life.

No comments:

Post a Comment