A few days ago Paul approached a subject with me that he thought was
going to just devastate me and he was reticent to open up about the
matter (which is unusual for him). When he finally told me I was sort of
surprised that he had worried so much. He admitted that he was sort of
bored with me. Actually, it makes me kind of laugh. I am bored with
myself a lot of the time too! He said, "you've pigeon holed yourself
into kids and church and that is it. Can we please talk about something
else?!" I completely agreed. I spend all my time on kids and church
and art, (but the art part is only in my head and Paul doesn't really
get excited about talking about non existent paintings and such,) so
I've been pretty shallow in areas beyond my kids and my faith. As I
thought about this, first I completely forgave him for being bored with
me. He goes to work and conventions and spends his time with some of
the smartest people in the country, and then comes home to me. I'm at
home making apricot leather and cleaning up excrement and endlessly
picking up toys and rocking babies all day long. Pretty riveting.
Still,
It occurred to me that we have only been married a mere 7 years. 7
years in an eternal perspective is such a short time. In fact, we are
still like babies at this whole "oneness" thing. When I look at couples
who have been married 50 years and worked hard at it the whole time,
I'm amazed at how they work together like two parts of the same machine.
When I watch my children going through their stages, I may feel like
they are going to do some annoying behavior forever, but then all of the
sudden they are over it (and onto a new one of course.) This wonderful
time when we are parents of little little guys is going to be such a
short moment in that big eternal togetherness we have and in this moment
we get the chance to learn SO much. We get to learn about
selflessness, about patience, let me say that again, patience, seeing
beyond the moment, allowing those little guys agency to discover who
they really are, restraint, temperance, logical consequences, teaching,
modeling behavior and most of all love. In all of eternity, as far as I
know, this will be the only time these little spirits are babies; and
we get to experience it! What a miracle right?!
And
giving my service to building the kingdom of God; well, that's just what
I do and always will do. That's what I'm here for and I can't change
that.
So even though I do feel like I have a multitude
of various talents and interest simmering inside but not displayed at
the moment, I feel like getting really deep in kids and church is what
is mandatory right now. Gratefully, I am assured that there are other
stages of my life that will look a lot different. There will be a
decades ahead when I have time to be back in school, maybe teach, paint a
lot, sew, maybe become a counselor, lots of yoga, interior design, take
care of grand kids, go on a mission, study entomology, biology, sculpt,
read a ton, and travel. Life is beautiful, and I feel like there will
be a moment for everything, maybe not all in this life. This moment in
time is a beautiful stage of life. I'll admit, it's tear your hair out
boring sometimes, but in truth, it's remarkable underneath the mundane.
In my moments of selfishness; which we are allowed; I yearn for the
next stage or for that authentic me that doesn't have to do the dishes
constantly to be allowed to breath. But, all in due time.
A
few years ago when Paul was playing online video games all the time, I
was BORED to death with him. The cool thing is that when I finally
confessed to him that while he played online with all his buddies all
the time, I was upstairs crying in my journal and feeling deserted; he
changed. He gave up the game.. for me. And I know he didn't like
giving it up, but he did.
I told Paul to try to
remember that I am an iceberg, as we all are. And there is so much more
of me to come. :) And in the meantime, I am going to try to have
something more of interest to say when he comes home, and hone my
depleted conversation skills if possible. He deserves that at least! I
do feel glad that he trusted me to tell me his feelings because I know
by telling me he knows there is more to me that he wants to see. I also
know that he believes that I love him enough to change too, and I will.
Marriage is fun, and so much better when you have an eternal
perspective and a sense of humor.
No comments:
Post a Comment