Sunday, May 15, 2011

May- succulent spring- I feel alive again

This week was so delicious I had to write about it. There is nothing like spring. And our home is a refuge that I feel like a princess in it.

May 11th: A gorgeous day! One of the first welcoming spring days that insists on being enjoyed. Kasey was feeling under the weather so I invited her to stay for lunch after we snagged the kids from preschool. I was making a fruit soup to take to Erin in the new soup tureen that I found for her, so I made lots of extra. I whipped up a chicken noodle fruit salad that turned out amazing and we lounged on the back deck for hours eating and talking and watching the kids find hours of amusement in the tent we set up. They were enchanted by the weather as well and were delightful. Joren cracked us up insisting on wearing his fur hiccup vest, no shirt a red bandana, his satchel, hat, spy watch and plaid shorts. He was so cute in his own fashion. Paul was able to join us for lunch and commented later that if this is what it is like to stay home with the kids then sign him up. I agreed. It was a magical day through and through.
This bird was a gift from my sister for my birthday. To me it is a little token of happiness.
May 12th:
Today I planted my garden. I dug the rich soil, and let the boys help me drop in all the seeds. It has to be one of the best times of life. In the afternoon I brought one of my longtime dreams to fruition. I rolled a giant section of a log to our yard from the neighbor across the street and positioned it under our pine tree among the ferns and ivy so that it is a little table. I placed rocks around the table as little chairs and sprinkled glass jewels all around in the ivy. Then I hung a metal dragonfly knocker on the tree so the kids could make sure all that enter their "fern fortress" know the password and enter with permission. When I told Joren that I was planning to hang a light from the tree so that we could come out at night and have a little party, his little face lit up like it was the coolest thing he had ever heard. He jumped in my arms and squealed and hugged me super tight while telling me I was the coolest mother ever! Then Eirik had an idea to make a mobile to hang from the tree that has little fairies made of pine cones. Cool idea! So we spent the next few hours making fairies to hang. My little men with their great imaginations now have a secret forest hideout! I have many plans for our lovely new fortress.

May 13th: I dropped off Eirik at preschool and Joren at playschool and went to the flower market with Teig. He helped me pick out our tomatoes, peppers, watermelon sprouts, 8 Mammoth Russian sunflowers, a bunch of sprouted herbs and some luxurious splurges on flowers. I couldn't resist the orange chinese lanterns and the succulents. Every year I allow myself just a little more cash for this beginning of the season indulgence. I brought my treasures home and was giddy all afternoon as I planted all my pots and remaining garden squares. At 5:30 we had to clean up for soccer where we got to hang out with all of our friends. Erin came back to our house after so the kids could play and roast hotdogs and marshmallows. We bought "5 Guys and Fries" hamburgers for us. Another lovely evening outside. Spring is too fleeting. There were no bugs, a perfect temperature, and lush green everywhere with life bursting all around.

May 14th: Sat. We made norwegian pancackes and then I escorted the boys outside to play. I got busy weeding and weeding. I love weeding. Once I get going I hate to stop. At noon I was forced inside as the rain was dripping off of my nose. Still, it was luxurious to dig in the dirt. After a wonderful lunch of homemade Jumbalaya by master chef Paul, we cleaned ourselves up.
Paul, ever the "goer and doer" herded us to the car to enjoy a day at Imagination Station. Eirik loves the race track and the rope on a pully and the fire station. Joren likes to play in the water and of course got soaked as usual.
On the way home we stopped for Pizza Hut. Our server turned out to be our mailman. Funny coincidence. Nice guy. I pushed him out of the snow once and we gave him a donut gift certificate for Christmas. Now we are sort of friends.
At home I coerced Paul into helping me rearrange the upstairs so that Teig will finally have his own room. All of my office was moved into our bedroom and the crib was moved out! I was reluctant to give up "my room", but now I find the arrangement to be much better. Teig has not slept through the night more than 3 times in his life and we are ready to remedy that. It was a pleasant night last night with some distance between us and the kids, until Eirik decided to join us. He is getting big and the bed is getting smaller. I end up flat as a tortilla between those two boys and wake up with my arms falling asleep. I'm taking back my night time!

May 15th: Rain.. lots of it.. not a break all day. My plants will grow at least. I'm bummed that my sunflowers are not in the ground yet. Maybe tomorrow. It was Stake Conference and we opted out. Eirik threw up this morning after he said, "I'm not going!" It was a forced, tiny throw up, but both P and I were looking for a way out. 2 hours of sacrament meeting with three boys just sounds like forced torture to us. Still, tonight I feel a big vacant, and aware that I made the wrong choice. I missed attending despite it's exhausting nature. The boys were in rare difficult form as well. We all got snappy and I made the worst dinner. Paul is ever the gentleman, but it is obvious who is the better cook. I had to laugh and tell the family that they should enjoy the meal since it will certainly be the last time they ever get to enjoy this particular combination. I honestly don't know how Paul always makes winning dishes with no recipe, even when the fridge is considerably lacking. He just has a definite gift. I am generally a pretty confident cook, however after a weekend of enjoying his food, I find my talent leaves something to be desired. Lucky, I get to enjoy his spoils.
I cut my own hair today. (another reason for missing conference.. I admit with guilt) I am happy to report that I like it very much and would challenge any stylist to do a better job. I just saved myself $70. Well, I still need to figure out how to color it myself. I think I will give it a go this week. Good idea?? Probably not. There is a big Luau for Paul's work on Sat. I spent an hour tonight trying to decide on something to wear and searching online to see what is in style. The answer: "not me." Really, there is no way to dress as modest as I am required and find anything for summer in the stores. I found about 4 dresses that were possibilities from about 7 websites. I just want my very own dressmaker, full time. Is that so much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment