I am amazed at how much perspective and comprehension he brings with him. He is only 5 and 2 months old, but he can make jokes with us, (he's quicker than I am) and have adult conversations. He asked me how a global positioning system works yesterday. I was trying to explain the idea of a signal reaching from a satelite to a hand held devise and he asked if it was something like a spirit. I thought that was pretty intuitive and explained that it was more like light or sound. Then he wanted to know details about how the wavelengths traveled. "how do they go through walls, and ceilings. When he had asked enough questions that I was out of answers, I told him he needed to ask his dad. Is that possible that he has me stumped on a physics question at 5? I knew it would happen someday, and I knew it would be sooner than later. It has become plain to me that he is so completely his own person and that that little person is so huge in his little body. He is incredible and so cool. He knows what is cool way before I do. I fight him and fight him about things that I don't think he needs or should do and then when he finally gets his way I realize that what he wanted was pretty cool and had value that I did not realize. I am learning everyday how to trust him more and see him as his own person and value all of his ideas instead of just the ones that I understand. I feel that I have let him down a bit by not documenting better some of his more brilliant ideas. I should have been taking better pictures of each costume he has invented and put them next to the characters he is emulating. When he sees a show he ALWAYS immediately identifies with the hero. I don't think all kids do that. He not only identifies, but thinks, "how can I become that person in every detail." Then he goes about gathering all the important costume pieces, vocabulary, gear and friends to play the supporting characters. He is dramatic and focused. He leads his brother in this kind of play all the time and Joren is such a good sport to be the support crew at all times. Today Eirik was a mystic samarai power ranger because when he looked out the window it was misty. He wanted his snow pants, but I would not get them for him, so he sulked for a while and finally made due with black pants, blue shirt, brown shoes and black marker drawn in symetrical designs all over his face. It was actually kind of cool.
Yesterday he went to his soccer game with his head shaved and a blue arrow drawn on his head and arms like Aang from Avatar the cartoon. His friends were at the game that introduced him to the show. They have seen all the episodes and when they saw Eirik their jaws dropped. They thought he was so cool.
The doctor told us recently that we needed to do the starvation diet with Eirik and Joren to get them to eat more vegetables and meat and water. We give them those things and when they have had a portion of each they can have fruit or carbs. Eirik's energy level has significantly improved. He is doing much better. For a while there we were a bit worried because he could not walk around the block without tiring. Maybe it is because he is growing up or maybe it is the gorgeous weather or maybe the better food, but he was great at soccer and ran very well.
He is incredibly polite and great at talking to adults and strangers except that he expects them to treat him like an adult and sometimes adults don't give him the time of day since he is so small so he ends up repeating and interupting all the time. That has to be hard for him. The other day we took the kids to the Rainforest Cafe. He was having one of his more impolite days and when we got our food he said, "that looks like carion. I'm not eating that!" That night after doing all kinds of fun things he got a sliver or something and said, "mom, I've had a really hard day!" He can be so dramatic.
He told me recently that he wants to be a gadget inventor when he grows up. This is one of his most recent gadgets:
He made me the cutest mother's day cards this year. He was so loving and adorable. He told me all day long today that I was the prettiest girl he ever acquainted. "Actually," he said, "you're the only girl I ever acquainted."
Eirik is so loving with his brothers. Eirik really looks out for both of them. Sometimes when I can't get Joren to do something, Eirik will jump in with the perfect motivation that I would not have thought of like, "Joren, if you wear that you will look like a skydiver!"
At a recent preschool meeting one of the other moms told me that she had heard about Eirik, how he talks like an adult and is incredibly bright. He really is. I am so blessed to be his mother and I feel a great responsibility to him since he has such enormous potential. My what a lot of life I have been given.
No comments:
Post a Comment