Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Countdown

I just learned that our friends Anona and Trevor sold their house. They may be packing up almost a month earlier than they planned.  Moving day.. this huge day that represents such enormous changes for our family suddenly seems so close.  I've been doing the countdown in my head for over a year and a half, and of course planning and trying to anticipate every little thing for about as long.  So many things have been surprises or out of my control, but the day we leave has been pretty set and now it is only 9 weeks away.  That means only 2 more bunco nights with the girls, 9 more playgroups, 2 more rent checks, 9 more Monday trips to Aldi, 2 or 3 more trips to our library, 3 more weeks teaching primary and volunteering in the boys classrooms, and only one more beautiful Michigan spring.  Watching spring come alive is exhilarating.  I love our gorgeous backyard. In our new home in Oregon, will we have nature in our backyard like we do here?  I don't imagine we will ever have deer and coyotes and squirrel and bunnies and woodpeckers and cardinals as constant friends.  And there are many other things I will miss so much about living here. I feel like our time here has been magical. We were blessed to find this home with all of it's quirks like the constantly squeaky floors and power surges and with all it's amenities like granite counter tops and fish in the pond out back.  I have collected some lovely treasures while we have lived here and I'll admit, a lot of belongings have come along with the addition of 2 babies and a dog to our life in this house.  When we moved here from our apartment 3 years ago we pretty much filled a 27' truck.  I don't know how, but we did. Now, with that in mind, I have spent months asking myself with every object I touch, "does this come with us or get sold, given away or trashed?"  I have always worried that I was too connected to my things, and that I allow them to define me too much.  I often gauge my level of vanity or dependence on things in my life by asking myself if I would be willing to let it go, let it all go.  So the question of what stays and what goes is not just a simple, "do we need it or do we like it?  I like pretty much all of my stuff.  If I don't love it, I'm sort of attached to it because I made it or refinished it, or re-purposed it, or have plans for it.  Some things are hard to part with because they are gifts from people I may never see again.  And, some of our belongings are special because they have been with us through these wonderful years of babies that I treasure so much.  DD and I talk a lot about what it might be like when we have enough money that I don't have to fix every little darn thing that breaks, and we might just be able to replace broken and crappy things.  To be honest, I have a hard time picturing that day although I believe my husband when he says that it will come.  Still, I don't really want to live out of boxes and sit on the floor for years because we gave away all of our furniture.  It's a little overwhelming and I need to have my garage sale because as soon as I unload all the stuff I know we are leaving, I think I will feel a lot better.
The big question is, "how can I know if it is going to fit in a 27' truck so that on moving day I am not frantic to fit 5 more feet of belongings somewhere at the last minute?

1 comment:

  1. So overwhelming and exciting!

    And girl, use Upack!! Then you won't have to worry if you end up needing more space at the end. Seriously the best way to go, and cheapest when you figure in gas in the gas guzzling moving trucks like Uhaul, etc. If we ever need to move long distance again, we are using them again. So much better than even having a moving company paid for by our employer (who ended up damaging my dining room table and did NOT replace cost to fix it, except for a $100 cosmetic allowance. And my gorgeous white dresser that I took so much time stripping and repainting, etc? They damaged that too and it shifts and basically needs to be reglued/renailed from the inside out now. I got $40 for that. And we even had the full coverage insurance on all our belongings. What a joke!)
    So anyway, use Upack, not anything or anyone else.

    But most of all, good luck and we can't wait to see you on this side of the country. And snuggle little Juni too.

    ReplyDelete