Sunday, February 24, 2013

Long Weekend

It's the end of the weekend and I am so out of patience.  I am so glad my kids are going to school tomorrow.  I love their teachers.  I want to give them big hugs for taking care of my kids all day every weekday because I don't think I could do it tomorrow.  I'm dreading the summer.  I want to tear my hair out right now.  On Saturday I kept telling my kids, "I love Saturdays because I get to spend so much time with you, and all day I tried to help us all enjoy each other's company so much.  I tried.  We worked hard.  We had fun. I stayed cool all weekend, until now, and I am done and exhausted. They wear me out. They are finally in their beds and oh what sweet relief.
Joren has the gimme's and asks for things he wants non stop.  In fact, there isn't much out of his mouth that does not start with "I want."  He wants unreasonable things like a working jet pack or a a safe or a hammock or a squid launcher.  He gets an idea and won't give it up for weeks.  When I try to make what he wants, it's never good enough and he says he hates it and throws it away so  I have stopped helping him with his never ending project ideas because he won't listen to any of my suggestions and whatever I do is never good enough.  He also won't stop hanging on, jumping on, running into and badgering people.  There aren't any words or punishments to make him stop being so physical.  He doesn't necessarily hurt anyone, he just has to be on us all the time.  He is worse with everyone else besides me because with my big belly, I just won't tolerate it and I get mean if he gets near my belly with his unpredictability.
Teig won't take naps on the weekends when his brothers are home so by Sunday night he is a crying banshee.  He has to do everything by himself and if you try to do it for him or help him he freaks out and won't be consoled. 
They are all three good, wonderful nice boys.  They don't try to be bad.  They are obedient most of the time.  They are reasonable.  Eirik is so sensitive and kind (when he's not being a maniacal tease), and so incredibly smart. He was memorizing morse code on his own today. I had planned to make a nice dinner today and the day just went weird and I knew that no one was going to enjoy the food I had planned (except me), so I served yogurt, granola and fruit.  After our meal, Eirik said, "that was dinner?  Usually we have some big boquet to eat."  I thought that was funny.  I missed having grilled tilapia with black bean and corn salsa, but I was the only one.  They all like granola.  Teig is so articulate.  When he is upset, at only two years old, he can verbalize what he is upset about.  I think its remarkable. If his brothers say he is doing something they don't like, he immediately explains what he is doing, "I only looking!" or "I not break it!" or "I only try a yittle."  He's a great little brother and super fun. We did dance break today and they were all really cute doing all their awesome moves. Joren gave a talk in primary about all of Gods creations.  He told his primary how he loves to collect nature things like bones and sticks and rocks and geodes.  He loves to build things and cut trees and collect insects. He loves to explore and study prehistoric and living animals and he listed his favorites. (all predators).  Then he said he was thankful for all God's creations.  By the end of the talk he was doing silly moves and barely paying attention and saying his words in silly voices, but he did fine.
 Paul was great today.  He kept his patience more than me.  Sundays are hard because there is so much you "can't" do that it is hard to find things that we "can" do.  I have read some great articles with great ideas, but I have yet to establish some traditions that really work well for us.  We try games, we try letters, crafts, delivering goodies, a nice meal, skyping, phone calls, naps, and nature shows, but I think that about exhausts our creativity and it's never enough for long Sunday afternoons. Luckily legos seem to be picking up speed around here and hopefully they will stay around as time killers.  We ended up taking a 2 hour drive to a ladies house who used to be in the ward this evening just to have something to do.  She gave us lots of big boxes for our move.  It was really nice of her.  We feel like we are always the recipients of very generous people.
My irritability is probably not from my great family, but just my own problem. The kids were especially annoying today, but only because I am 9 months pregnant, uncomfortable, sick of winter and trying to feel present instead of playing the waiting game.
It will come soon enough.  I need more patience!

1 comment:

  1. I love you! I'm so glad you are human:) You're a great mom and way more creative than me. I'm sorry about your hard weekend. Hopefully the boys will calm down a bit once they have a precious princess to take care of! :)

    ReplyDelete