Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Adjustment Period

People keep asking me how the boys are adjusting to having a new little sister.  They all love her and act adoring to her.  They all say how cute she is and pray for her and give her kisses and want to hold her.  Teig holds her for about 4 seconds and then says, "i'm all done" and pushes her off his lap.  Joren says, "if we did not have baby Juni, I would go to the doctor's office and just bring her home as fast as I could!"  On the surface they all love having a sister.  But as I thought about it a little more I realized a few things. 
Since Juni came home, Eirik has started saying even more often how everyone in the world hates him, how no one is nice to him, how when he gets older he wants to throw throwing knives at his face... Dramatic things like that to get attention.  He also said, "I don't want Juni around because that just means  that there is one more person I have to help.
Joren has started a new stage of liking all things fairy and tinker bell.  It started with a drawing from school and since then he has made a fairy book every day, little wooden fairies, and he has commandeered Juni's new pink and purple blanket for his bed.  He claims that girls get more attention and that he wants to be a girl. 
 
Teig had to give up his crib for Juni and we moved him into a big boy bed.  He has been really excited about being a big boy and he has pretty much mastered potty training.  He has started to refuse to wear diapers to bed even though there are still sometimes nighttime accidents, but he is intent of being a big boy.  Every time he eats anything he says he has gotten taller like Eirik.  And with his newly discovered big boy age has come a new big boy attitude.  His tantrums and insistence on independence have become truly impressive.  He has also suddenly decided that he is too big for naps and refuses to take them.  Then he is outrageously tired by 7:00.  Getting Paul to give up an hour of Teig time at night has, so far, been impossible, so we have had some pretty out of control bedtimes with an overtired 2 going on 5 year old.  When he is rested he is still that super delightful, kind and easy to be entreated boy, but if he is tired, look out, Hyde is out!
Not quite sure what to think..
For the first 10 days home from the hospital we had at least one extra kid besides Juni in our bed with us.  They have all needed lots of reassurance that they are still loved and not being displaced.  We have sure tried to ease this transition, but we are sure not through it yet. 




2 comments:

  1. Meh. Hate adjustment periods. Poor Eirik. I recently read a quote that I'm going to use next time Brynlee pulls her melodramatic sayings (much like Eirik was saying). After they say something damaging to themself, the adult says,"Are you glad that I don't believe that?" Like if they say,"I'm terrible at math, or so stupid, etc." Then you say the statement. Oh well, worth a try.

    You're such a good Mom Melody! Keep doing what you can when you can and that's enough. Give Teig some love for me. He's growing up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, meant to say "Aren't you glad that I don't believe that?" not "Are"

    ReplyDelete