Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Paralyzed

I feel absolutely paralyzed today. I have so much on my plate right now that I feel like I'm spinning in circles with constant distractions and never getting anything done. My anxiety is so high and while I feel a complete mess inside all I can do is whirl around trying to put out the most urgent fires all around me. I get something done just to have it immediately undone again.

I did something really dumb. My dad bought a house in Lake Oswego. Its a fixer upper that needed to be gutted and redone. My dad, I think forgot that I do interior design, and remembered at the very last minute as he flew into town and asked me to go with him that day to check out the house. When I got there I found out that I was hired to do all the design work for the entire house and I needed to start immediately because my brother and another guy were coming from Utah to start work in one day. Say what?! Are you kidding. How could i possibly say no? (It's like my own design star challenge but bigger!) Wait.. You want me to redraw a floor plan, design the whole kitchen, bathrooms, choose all the fixtures, lights, finishes, interior and exterior in a few days and take care of 4 kids and finish remodeling our office space. Which, by the way, I just told our general contracted that his price was too high and I would be the general contracted myself! So for that project I am trying to hire all the subcontractors by Friday and get approval on all the work from our landlord so we are eligible for the tenant improvement money. And i have to purchase all the flooring, which i just learned has been discontinued, and I have to stay under budget for both projects. Did I mention I have 4 kids and a baby that woke up 3 times last night and two kids that still have accidents and 3 boys that make constant messes and visiting teaching appointments that I have had to reschedule 4 times because people keep forgetting or changing their minds and a calling I am so far bombing because I have been unavailable. Did I mention that I have white carpet through my whole house and a dog that sheds everywhere and a house so big that we have no furniture for it and no matter what I do I can't make it feel like my home ( or clean!) I don't feel like I live here yet so amidst all of this I found myself talking to a realtor about a fixer upper house I just passed on the street on the way to visit teach the girl that stood me up. Is my scattered inside reflecting in this crazy article. I know Paul is not happy that I took the job with my dad. I know I should have said no. The guy here that is working with my dad is really happy with the drawings I have done and in his excitement he said. "this is just the first of many Melody."While that thrills me to pieces because this is absolutely a dream job for me, it also terrifies me because how can I really do it without sending my sweeties to daycare? And how can I do daycare while I am still nursing? And if I turn down the next house then the team will get used to working with a different designer and I will miss my chance to design homes from the studs out. How amazing is that!! I am just driven over by constant guilt and an inability to do what I want because I always try to do what I should. I am angry that I want to design so badly. If I am at home in my house that does not feel like mine my design brain can never rest! Never. I am always, even in my sleep trying to fix what is "broken". If I am working, I am too busy to be obsessed over what I can't fix in a rental. I have said it a million times and never found a solution. I wish I could turn it off. I wish I could sit peacefully and Exist without yearning to be fixing and create things. I try to keep it hidden from people so they dont know how nuts I am, but Paul knows. He does not know what to do with me. And I know that I am obsessed and my kids suffer. Where is the switch that lets me turn on to be a happy, laid back, funny, dog loving, soccer mom that just likes to have fun. Wouldn't that be so much easier? That would sure make all my family happier. Why do I have to be all deadlines and healthy and organized and artistic? Why do I have to be all rules and morals and bedtimes and green drinks? Boring! My kids dont enjoy me. There is nothing stopping me from being cool except me. I am just me and I don't fit in my life. I don't fit in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Melody I'm so sorry for your stressful time right now! I feel the same- to a much lesser degree- I always want to work and accomplish things, fix the house, texture the basement, paint, etc. and I know my family would be happier if I could play- I don't know how!! We're workers! I hope you can find a way to still design those houses- and balance everything else- and if not- you'll get to someday. There's a time and a season. I listened to this today, I know you don't have time but it was really validating...:
    http://www.mormonchannel.org/gospel-solutions-for-families/keeping-your-sanity-in-a-home-of-little-ones-part-1
    I love you and wish I could help you with All of it sounds fun! Try to sleep and eat. and when they're being bad hold them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had your creative mind! I think it is perfectly normal to want to work and find yourself and be a mother and a wife! As mothers we spend so much of our time making everyone else happy that we should get a turn too! I have finally started to accept living in KY and I have made some great friends. One of them has 5 children, 9 and younger, 4 of them boys and she works 5 different jobs. (Her jobs all vary as she is a teacher and tutor.) I know that it is stressful for her at times, but she loves it! My girls babysit for her and then also help out with household chores when her weeks are really crowded. Maybe there is a YW in your Ward or a stay at home mom who would be willing to help with the kids when you are working? I am lucky that I have 2 teenagers who help me out a ton or I would never have a clean house lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's tough, really tough! Maybe you can find a temporary nanny for the kids, and just pump for the baby. The kids will most likely be fine, sometime I find in my own life I can be a much better part time mom than a full time mom. Wish I was closer to you to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melody, what a dilemma! You have so much creative energy! It sounds like opening the door to using that energy in the workplace has overwhelmed you in a good and bad way. It's okay to realize you can't be the kind of mom you want to be and also be a professional designer RIGHT NOW in life - there will be a time and a place for designing from the studs out in your future! You can just delay it a bit and stay sane and happy in the meantime. Seriously, you'll be able to find this opportunity to be a professional designer in the future. How could anyone not see your amazing abilities? You are a shoe-in for whenever you decide is the time to break into the market, on YOUR terms. I've seen you focus all your creative energy on your little growing family and it's amazing. Maybe the ache will subside when you're done with your two big projects and you can remove yourself from them a little, you know? And never forget, you aren't giving up your dream, you are only delaying it because you have more important things to do right now! You are wonderful. I love you!

    ReplyDelete