Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Primary Program

This Sunday was our primary program.  I was excited since we had worked on parts for about a month and both boys knew them well.  On our way to church we had them recite them for us and Joren, in a usual defiant mood said, "Heavenly Father does NOT have a plan for me!"  At that point I knew we were in for quite a show.  Joren sat in the front row next to his teacher (apparently he needs one on one supervision since there were no other kids in his row.)  He recently gave himself a custom hair cut right up to the scalp right at the front so there was our silly little bright eyed red head in the front row by himself with this goofy haircut trying really hard to do just what he is supposed to do.  The first song was "scripture power".  Joren borrowed his teachers quad to hold up over his head when all the children were supposed to hold up their scriptures.  It was as big as his head and in the first verse he lifted with all his might and held this giant book in a zippered case over his head.  The weight of it threw him completely off balance and he toppled forward and suddenly disappeared out of sight behind the ledge of the stage.  I had to bite my lip to not laugh hysterically when his surprised  little head popped back up.  Joren did not know many of the words to the songs but he opened and closed his mouth to make it look like he did.  He swayed back with a straight legged right/ left waddle motion while mouthing the words in a way that made it impossible not to giggle watching him.  When he said his part, "Heavenwy Faver has a pwan fo me." the congregation made the noise you make when something is so totally endearing you can't help but gasp and it brought tears to my eyes.  In the third song, Joren knew only one word which was said throughout the chorus.  The word was truth and he screamed it out with all his little heart each time the word truth came up.  I just knew those primary teachers felt the same as I did and they just couldn't bear to squash that precious 3 year old ambition during the practices by telling him not to yell.   Oh it was precious. 
I don't mean to ignore Eirik.  He was a star too.  He gave his part like a practiced and professional politician.  He wore a grey vest and red tie with his white shirt and short haircut.  He said, "I can pray to my Heavenly Father.  He hears and answers my prayers.  I know He will help me if I need it."  He knew every word to every song and was a shining example to all around him.  I was so proud of him.
I love teaching my boys about the gospel.  This weekend we are going to put up a tent like King Benjamen's people as we watch conference.  I am going to let the kids get a piece of candy if they hear a speaker say a chosen word for each session and I am printing off coloring pages and things from sugardoodle.  I hope it will help us enjoy hearing the speakers.  I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment