Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The draw of design

I went to work with my brothers two days last week and did a faux finish on a a bunch of pine to make it look like reclaimed barn wood for the ceiling of the kitchen in the del prado house. The hours passed like minutes and I had to tear myself away. I enjoyed the creative process so completely. Davy installed it as I painted and it looked amazing. The collaboration was a blast. Tracey told me he wanted me to stage the house and told me to start collecting furnishings and accessories to get it sold. My mind started reeling with excitement.

Last night Paul said he was worried about me. I guess he could see that spark ignited in my eye or maybe he felt how my spirit had been snagged by a distraction and I was suddenly preoccupied. I'm not sure how he knew but immediately he could sense my heart was wondering. With all that my family needs, if I get distracted my family suffers. I tell myself I will stay up later, I will do things while the kids nap, I will make sure they have good sitters so I can work but the reality is that the family is not as strong when I am distracted. Having a family is supposed to help us learn to be unselfish. I know that it is not very many years that they will be young. I want to invest in each of them while they are little. I want no regrets about the time I was willing to put in. I just want to work AND do it all as a mom and it is not possible.  Every day is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment