Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Alex, Mark, Brown Swing

Joren told his teacher his name was Alex. He has written Alex on every paper since the beginning of the year. He tells his classmates to call him Alex, and this week he decided he was Mark. We called him Mark for a few days. Yesterday the principle called me and told me Mark was in the office because he had been running and hitting in the classroom. His teacher emailed me and told me he was melting into the floor like a puddle and would not get up, then at one point was bashing into her with his head, then he hid under her desk and would not come out. Today he sneaked his monkey shaped backpack into his real backpack to school.  It has a tail coming out the back that works as a leash. He wore it around at school and told everyone his name was Brown Swing. When he got home he told me I had to take him on a walk. I told him I would take him if he asked me nicely. On our brisk autumn walk he was barefoot with rolled up pants and no shirt and his monkey backpack. He walked on all fours the whole way and only responded to Brown Swing.  He changes clothes everyday the minute he gets home. Usually he puts on a ninja outfit or camo. His dad bought him new camo pants on Saturday so now he doesn't have to wear his pj's or shorts when he wants camo, so I'm afraid he will live probably in them constantly. He loves tank tops and headbands. Today he screamed at me and told me he was going to dye his hair black and there was nothing I could do about it.  He always tells me what he is going to do instead of asking if he can.  He often tells me what he needs and it's usually outrageous things like a podometer or something. He says it like I'm denying him water. I think he's angry and I don't know why. We started playing band yesterday and he got to be director. He loved it because he got to use his whistle to count us in or make us stop. He loved having people listen to him and having a little power. I think that is the real problem. He wants more choices and more power. He probably feels pretty powerless and I do tell him what to do all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment