Although my awesome parents came out to help us move in mid July, they were willing to make the trip out again just one month later for a family reunion. Yes, they must really like us. Katie and Danny drive all the way from Tempe AZ, and Tera and Dave and Andrew drove in another car and Michael and Daniel took the long scenic route through California and met up with us a few days in. Adam and Amy’s family decided to wait until they were recovered from last years trip to California with 4 kids and the flu. Sometimes it takes a few years to forget experiences like that and I don't blame them a bit for not coming, although I hope they will be up for the next reunion here in Oregon. Parents and Katie and Danny got here early in the week and we tried to show them a good time at our new pad and in our new town. We took them on a hike and to Bridgeport for dinner and to Mary S. Young park and my mom and I had a blast as the Street of Dreams! Everyone got to see Pauls new office and the girls all got to go thrift shopping where we all found some great treasures, and then swimming with the kids.
Wednesday we made the gorgeous drive to the beach. I loved driving with my mom and reading together. Eirik and Joren loved riding in grandpas truck listening to Phineus and Ferb songs until Grandpa had had enough of Phineus and Ferb! :)
Of course we stopped at the cheese factory for ice cream and there we got to meet up with the brothers. Oh how I love my brothers! They are all so special and great. Seeing them makes me feel like I make so much more sense. I can tell a lot of time has passed where we have not been a part of each others lives enough because we dont know each other as well anymore, but I look forward to changing that now that we are closer!
After the cheese factory we went to the blue heron to see animals and we all enjoyed the samples in the gift shop. Mom couldn't pass up the jalapeƱo jelly which is always her favorite, and she also splurged on some Oregon marionberry syrup for our pancake breakfast the next morning. We loved getting right up close to the long haired, long horned yacks or steers, whatever they are, they are majestic and poweful and extraordinary; definitely one of my favorite animals.
Michael made us all laugh doing funny dances. It was just like when we were kids. From there we went to the beach house and everyone was excited to get down to the water. Dad took some golf clubs down to hit some balls. We made lots of designs in the sand and Katie and I enjoyed dancing barefoot making designs. The boys splashed in the water send we all had a wonderful time.
The next day we went to the surf beach and spent hours exploring. The hike up and back was gorgeous. I loved sharing this tradition with my family. In Cannon beach we ate fish and chips and then Katie, Davy, Tera, Juni and I went to galleries for a few hours. I felt pretty spoiled to get to go with no kids for the second time this year! Oh how I love Michael Orwicks paintings in the Dragonfire Gallery! I could sit there looking at them for hours. Instead we went home and ate Danny’s Shephard’s pie (one pan vegan, and one with Tri tip steak). He worked all afternoon on it and it was delicious! And then I did a painting of my own! Having Katie there sewing and my mom there for moral support gave me the courage I needed to paint again. It was very fulfilling and so fun! I woke up so refreshed after painting until 2 AM and then nursing Juni two times before 8. It sounds sarcastic but painting was energizing and it was really helpful to have my mom there. I wish we could paint together all the time.
In the morning my family all surprised me tremendously when almost everyone of them wanted to join me for a morning yoga session! I could not believe it. I had a fabulous time leading yoga for all my siblings and parents. It's been too long since I practiced and it felt great.
We took the crab pots to Garibaldi tot he docks and threw them in. Dad volunteered to stay while we explored the town a bit. We went to some antique stores and thrift shops and took the kids to a Maritime museum to dress up in colonial clothes and see tons of antique guns and ship parts. They liked that. We caught three crabs but they were all too small so Paul drive up in his big truck and threw the kids in the back and went to buy 12 crabs which we took home and steamed up for a great big crab meal. Tara made vegan pepperoni pizza with the pepperoni made from beets! It was delicious! That night we had a campfire. Katie and I figured out that we can sing and sound like the exact same voice. It was astonishing to me how identical we sound! We all shared vacation memories for hours. Someone should have been writing them down. We laughed and laughed. I missed Amy a lot then.
In the morning we packed up and went to Saturdays Market and experienced how Portland is "keeping it wierd" and then waited in a tremendously long line at Salt and Straw for Marrionberry with balsamic vinegar and black pepper ice cream. Tara got ice cream with habanero peppers and Paul ordered olive oil ice cream. They give lots of samples. Different and delicious.
I did two paintings and three yoga sessions and stayed up late hanging out. Everyone helped a lot with the kids and I only had to cook a few meals but I got to eat a lot if great food. It was a wonderful time! I hated to say goodbye to my family and I am so glad they are now in driving distance!
Thank you all for driving here!! Love you!










I wish we were there:) I love the last picture! Great location!
ReplyDeleteYou were missed Amy!!
ReplyDelete