When my sister Amy was in town three weeks ago we watched Season 1 of a show called "Out of the Wild" about 9 people who volunteered to be dropped off in the middle of Venezuela and backpack out with no assistance. The goal was to survive and find civilization. It made a great impression on me. I think I spend an excessive amount of time thinking about survival and preparedness, even though I would not consider myself a very eligible candidate for one who would actually survive some kind of disaster. Anyway, I told the kids about the show and they decided they wanted to watch it so we turned on season two about surviving in Alaska. After 3 episodes they decided they needed to play Survivor so we had to dig up the winter clothes (because Alaska is cold, right?) and get out Paul's hiking backpacks, which I made heavy by secretly adding gallons of Apple juice, and we set off to survive in the wilderness. The woods behind our house has become a great sanctuary. It is magical back there. We have built a pretty impressive little stick fort. On our expedition we hunted moose and bear and hung them up to make jerky and we foraged for berries and nuts and made a stew over a "fire" we built. I made a snare and taught the kids how to make their own too. Then Paul gave us a Survivor 101 class. It was a lot of fun and we made plans as a family to go on lots of real outdoor adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment