Monday, February 13, 2012

The Flu



Eirik stayed home from school Monday and Tuesday with a sore throat, cough, runny nose and crazy irritability.  He gets so controversial when he does not feel well.  Everything is a fight.  I just had to put on my blank, "I'm really in Aruba" face to make it through until Wed when he went back to school.  On Thursday night he started saying he did not feel so well and cried and moaned until he threw up in his bed and then laid on the couch for several hours vomiting intermittently.  Friday was a lot more fighting and moaning.   Friday night Joren peed in his bed. Saturday morning we thought we were better and went to a craft/ storytime at the library and then to the grocery store as a family, but at the end of the day Teig was not looking good.  He would not eat and that night he threw up in his bed.  I did not realize it until we smelled it and realized he was asleep in it. Ugh.. I had to scrub it out of his ears and hair in the bath in the middle of the night.  Sunday morning, after changing the laundry again, we decided Paul would go to church this week since he stayed home with sick kids last week.  A bit before church Paul got a call telling him he was supposed to be on snow removal and there was a fresh 4".  (Thanks for the early notice.)  As Paul was trying to rush to the church, his car would not start.  We could not find the jumper cables.  Then, when we found them, they would not work.   I could not get anyone on the phone to ask them to conduct for me, so I had to send a lot of stuff with Paul which made him even later.  Our house is full of mice and we had to clean out 3 mouse traps before church.  We just washed Tor and he rolled in something dead so he smells too gross to let in the house.  There is a leak in the laundry room and there is water all over the floor.  We just had the plumber fix it.  The whole time, sick kids are crying and being super annoying. A comment of Paul's describes this morning perfectly. "I love our kids, but sometimes they suck out my soul."  After Paul left the boys were watching a show on the couch.  I walked in and could tell someone had vomited, but I could not tell where or whom.  I looked and looked for the cause of the smell.  Of course, the boys were not helpful on this important issue.  Finally I located the curdled throw-up in Joren's rubber (inside and out) rain boot.  To this I offer a big thank you to future grown up Teig for finding the one washable container in the room to throw up in.  How an 18 month old is smart enough to do that, I will never know.  That was the best part of my day.  For some reason, having cranky, sick kids equals double the mess, double the cleaning and by Sunday night I was just at a breaking point.  Our friends Annie and Ryan stopped by and brought us homemade snickers and invited us over to watch the Grammy's.  I looked at Paul with tears in my eyes and said, can i go??
He said of course and pushed me out the door.  What a great husband.
And he keeps us laughing too. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment