Thursday, September 11, 2014

11 years on the 11th



Our best anniversary yet. 10 years was fun but I'll admit, a bit strained. This year was pure joy. We've had so much adjusting to do in the last year and a half with all things new. We both grew in a lot of ways and we grew together too. Having someone say, "I accept you just like you are, no matter what" has to be the best thing in the whole world, right?
Paul picked a restaurant on Division street called Ave Genes for our dinner out. Patty and John took the kids overnight. Did you know you could eat pickled fiddlehead ferns??? I'm not kidding! And they were delicious. I was amazed by all the food. I mean, I was shocked by the flavors and varieties. We had a melon salad with toasted pine nuts and jalapeƱos! It was crazy good. We had polenta and homemade pastas with homemade sausage. I can't say enough how delicious it was. The restrooms were a whole amazing experience as well. All the fixtures and plumbing were imported antique marble and brass pieces from Italy. The whole menu was in Italian so we basically went to Italy for our anniversary but it got even better from there. We sauntered outside on a warm Portland summer night, walked past the wall painted with sunflowers and what do we hear?, live Parisian cafe music. We had to stop and have a visit to the country of love and indulge in a key lime tart o let and creme and fraise while we listened to the musicians. 
After we walked around more and found 15 other restaurants we can't wait to try, I told Paul he couldn't top this date; Paris and Italy in one night, but then he offered to take me to Home Depot and, well he "had me at Home".  
That would have been a good date if it had to stop there but then Paul announced that for his gift he was going to take the kids to the beach for the weekend and let me stay home alone, by myself, solitary, just me for 2 whole days. I honestly can't remember the last time I was alone for longer than a quick car drive. I have a pretty amazing man. Thank you for such a great year. It is truly getting better with time, this lovely life we have made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment