Saturday, July 19, 2014

5 weeks into our new home

We bought a dresser with carved drawers and matching end tables. So pretty!
Paul was home all weekend and for the first time since we moved in we did not have company or have to go anywhere. Paul took a big interest in getting the house together. It is the first time he has had any chunk of time since we moved in to help. I have felt pretty alone in the whole thing and was starting to getting pretty frustrated, but I'm back to being a very very happy and lucky wife.  I just like to have my husband around now and then and he has been pretty busy. He gives so much at work that he comes home and just shuts down most days so I loved getting some real Paul for the weekend. We worked on the yard and brainstormed ideas for the garden. This weekend was the Old Time Fair for our little city of Willamette. We got up Saturday and walked literally one block and sat on the curb to watch our parade. Then we walked one block home, had breakfast and then walked down the hill to the fair. It was magical. This community is amazing. We got neighbors in a cute rental next door. Its a family from Florida and I met right after they arrived from a cross country drive from Florida with two babies. I made them dinner and took it right over. They could not have been more appreciative. I think we will be good friends. I also love the people across the street. She let me help her choose some paint colors for their remodel and they loved my choices.

I feel like I have been living for tomorrow since Paul and I got married, scrimping and saving and never buying anything while preparing for the future.  Now suddenly all our work is paying off and we are living for today!  It is suddenly the future and we are buying the things we always wanted to buy but haven't. Paul is getting a Harley this weekend. I bought my oil paints. Paul bought a guitar, we are buying gorgeous furniture. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. My house is coming together so wonderfully.  I love it!

I got called to be singing time leader in primary. I love teaching senior primary. I had those kids having so much fun today. We had a blast. I'm not so great with the younger kids, but the big kids love me. :)

Teig has been tantrum king lately! Joren is getting weirder every day, and Eirik could not be more whiney, but on the other hand, Teig looked at me today and said, "Mom, when I grow up, will you marry me?" Joren asked me to build him a jungle in his room so I cut out felt leaves and tissue paper leaves and hot glued them to green twine and made him a wall of jungle. Eirik is so tender and earnest and right at the crossroads of making big life decisions about what he believes.  Every day I wonder if I am being patient enough and taking enough time with him, and everyday I know I have come up short. I helped him unpack his room today finally. He had no interest before and didn't miss anything that was still in boxes so we took a long time, and it was painfully tedious. It was all I could do not to do it for him, but I wanted him to learn to put things away. I wish I was a better, more patient person!  I love that kid so much and sometimes I can't see past my own nose to be empathetic to 8 yr old feelings. Why is it so hard for me to understand  that 4 pocketknives are not enough, or that my boys can't go to sleep until they tuck every stuffed animal in with tissue paper wad pillows and kisses before they can go to sleep? They are precious! The tantrums will pass, Joren will be weird, but he is authentic and brilliant. Eirik may need a lot of attention, but when he gains independence at something his level of capability is extremely high. What he does, he does very well. He is an incredible leader. I went to scout camp with him this week and he was always the one with the flag leading the group. He always knew were to go, where things were, always had a plan. He is capable, trustworthy and I would be happy to follow him when he grows into a man. I learn so much from him. Daily I have to check my pride and try to be worthy to be his mother. Sometimes I am appalled while reflecting on my behavior.  I pray they are all resilient because I catch myself rolling my eyes, acting put out by their requests, and throwing tantrums when they make messes. I ask myself when am I going to pull it together and cut out that crappy behavior.  I started a hot air balloon chart and it is working great. Their balloon rises as they make good choices and have a good attitude and it lowers as they fight or have tantrums. Teig will loose his star wars blanket if it gets to the bottom. Oh No...! Eirik is so worried he will really lose it that he goes to great lengths to try to help him get points up. So cute.
Juni is into everything! She did something to the computer that made a sweep of the whole hard drive and erased all the programs! luckily it did not erase any documents or photos! She loves to play in the sink. I think I change her clothes about 5 times a day. she has been the voice of one word for about a month, "shoe". She loves to bring people shoes, find her own shoes and throws a fit if she can't find her shoes or get them on. Well, a fit for her is like a 1 on a Teig tantrum scale. She's really a very easy baby! I've been putting her in high side pigtails that are slaying me with her cuteness! Ahh, SO CUTE!!!!
Joren and Teig got gymnastics camp for a week last week. They loved it. Teig is in soccer and swimming lessons this week.
I can't believe summer is almost over! NOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment