I mentioned in my Christmas post that Joren has been "naughty". He has put on full display his nonconformist personality at school this year. He continues to refuse to wear anything I choose, mostly just because he did not choose it. His clothes all have to fit snug therefor he likes to wear teigs clothes even when the arms go only to his elbows or the legs are far too short. He likes Teigs winter coat best too and will dig in his heals and throw a fit so I pick my battles and just get him out the door looking mostly decent most days. He hated for me to comb his hair and rhns away or screams when i do, every morning. He gets in trouble at school for things like butting his head into his teacher, hiding under her desk, teasing people, getting in peoples space, jumping in people, taking things that font nelong to him, hiding in the closet, pretending his ears dont work and refusing to do what he is asked. His recent report card said he frequently misses instructions and needs to be helped individually because he was not listening. I have had frequent phone calls, emails and conferences with his teacher, the school secretary and the principle about how to help him get his behavior in line. Jorens teacher Ms. Edwards devised a program where he would receive compliments for good behavior and when he received 15 compliments he would earn a paper airplane throwing recess. He worked hard and when he reached his goal he made a paper airplane for every kid in the whole kindergarten and first grade. Joren thought is was pretty awesome that he could make better airplanes than many of the older kids. He felt pretty important! When he had earned 25 compliments Ms. Edwards made a giant volcano explode in their classroom. Joren got to stand up at the front of the room and got credit for earning it with is good behavior. I like to think that the incentives helped. Im not sure, but its bound to get better. Last week in his prayer he said, "please help me learn how to listen better." I am proud of him for his efforts but even more than that I am frustrated because he is so belligerent and deliberately ignores me and does the opposite of what I ask. Well, he did respond when I told him he lost presents. He is such a huge charmer! He makes everyone fall in love with him with his earnest creative nature. It was fun to spoil him at Christmas and I love to see him happy. I have learned a lot from Jorens school team and I am continually amazed by his awesome teacher. Look what she wrote to me yesterday by email:
"I received a new book -- one I have been longing to read (Counting by 7s) -- I am a super dork for kid-lit. As I started it, I could not stop thinking of Joren. I imagine school does not always feel like a good fit for him, and it is my dream that through this year he finds a way to hold on to all the wonder and curiosity and imagination he possesses, and find ways he can make school work for him, without losing any of who he is. I treasure that vision, and only hope I can be a helpful guide in his journey.What a glorious year lies ahead for all of us!!"
What an AMAZING teacher. And what an amazing kid Joren is. He needs constant stimulation and direction for his brain that is going a billion times faster than mine. I love him and pray for him and am so grateful for this teacher and for parents that are so positive and patient with him. He is a hard one. Don't beat yourself up if you get frustrated. You two are generally VERY patient with him!
ReplyDelete